Saturday, July 9, 2011

Verticality, it's own reward.

I've started a practice of Bikram yoga again. I started this particular practice before looking into the controversy of Bikram's yoga versus all other types of yoga. Who knew there was such a range of ideas and practices? I certainly did not.

For those not familiar, Bikram yoga is performed in a room that is one hundred and five degrees. The same twenty-six poses are performed twice as you progress through the class.

I love it.

I love the heat, I love the repetition and I love that it feels like I can relax knowing what is coming so that I don't have to spend time in my anxiety about the future. I don't know that I will always love this practice but I love it now.

As I was in class the other day I had a somewhat startling revelation that my skin was literally shedding at a rate that surprised me. Apparently I hadn't been doing enough for my skin lately and it was ready to drop some cells and move along.

I then paid homage to my skin for it's obvious and lovely analogy.

Each time I'm in a class and I'm able to do a little more, stand a little longer, pose a bit more properly I'm excited for this new body, new life I'm unwrapping and I'm reminded that it's got to be one cell at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Steph, I have a friend through the blogosphere who started Bikram Yoga about 3 years ago, became an instructor and lost over 150 pounds! She's incredible, a beautiful soul really. Check her out if you want to at http://swimbikeren.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete