Friday, December 24, 2010

Everything's ok.

December 24 Prompt – Everything’s OK
What was the best moment that could serve as proof that everything is going to be alright? And how will you incorporate that discovery into the year ahead? (Author: Kate Inglis)

I don't like to be mushy about my marriage. I feel mushy but that's not a reason to make everyone else in the world deal with it. But when I consider this prompt, there's not a great way around the mush.

I love to be hugged by my husband. When he gets home from work at the end of a day we say hello and then he hugs me. My head falls naturally into the curve of his neck and, his chin rests on my head and we both just hold tight for a moment. That moment, every day, that's the one that makes me know it will all be ok.

I feel so torn when I say that, as though I'm somehow disallowing the idea that a person can be single and alright. I'm not. There were moments when I was a single girl that were equally compelling and relaxing. It's just that on my path I've chosen a partner, it's just worked out that way andn it's more work than I intended it to be. Sometimes the laying bare of my soul to him, the knowledge that even my silliest habits are going to be known, is daunting in the extreme. And I can worry about that all day if I'm in a dither.

And then he comes home and we hug. And I realize I made the right decision, that it's ok to be partnered and that I really am deeply in love. And everything's ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment