Monday, December 27, 2010

Ordinary Joy

December 27 – Ordinary Joy
Our most profound joy is often experienced during ordinary moments. What was one of your most joyful ordinary moments this year? (Author: Brené Brown)

This was a year filled with the extraordinary. Marriage, sisters reunions, moving, a retreat and my first trip to Feista! in San Antonio. So many big, shiny memories that it took me some time to consider one that may be 'ordinary'.

I think every time a person enters a new family there is some hesitancy about if you'll fit and there was a bit of that for me with my new in-laws. Overall it was such a great fit that I was left worrying about the minutia. Because, really, without anxiety, who am I?

Anyway, my moment was sitting on the amazing patio at my in-laws house in April in Texas. It was warm, there was family flowing around and conversation. The mood was light, everyone was happy and we were just enjoying being together. As I looked around, feeling my way into this new family I was so excited to feel the calm of ordinary and the rush of joy that comes from knowing you belong.

It was another perfect moment in a year filled with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment