Sunday, December 19, 2010

Healing

December 19 – Healing. What healed you this year? Was it sudden, or a drip-by-drip evolution? How would you like to be healed in 2011? (Author: Leonie Allan)

I often bury my wounds and try to just move along. After all, I was raised in a family that has some amazing stories about overcoming or ignoring pain in honor of accomplishing something useful. My great-grandmother? She broke her leg in the garden, her femur, and couldn't get the attention of my great-grandfather. So she pulled herself up and down the rows of the garden and finished weeding.

Yeah, I come from that kind of family. So when I think of healing, of wounds that may be to my soul, I feel almost weak just for acknowledging they exist.

But this year has been a bit different. Somehow having Michael around, just the circumstances of this year, have allowed me more time to explore, tend and help alleviate my wounds. It's been a slow process.

As I was considering the topic I thought of the drive I took back from Phoenix after dropping some pugs at a rescue there. I'd put my family dog, my dog, of fourteen years down two days before and it was such an emotional and symbolic ending. In my car was a little pug with big medical troubles headed home to be our new pet. We just drove quietly together, both exhausted and I cried off and on for much of the drive. But it felt so good to be moving, to have the wind flying by that I couldn't help but feel the energy of the world, feel that I was moving forward through the pain and into a place of light and acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment