Friday, December 10, 2010

A very wise party.

I'm practicing this radical (to me) idea that just because I signed up for Reverb doesn't mean there is mandatory daily writing on the blog. The prompts make me think every day, do something to respond to them, but it's not always ending up here.

Small revolutions! Yahoo for feeling like I'm not a slave to own creative inflictions!

Ok, that aside the last two prompts, boiled down, are "a great party" and "a wise decision" which leads me to talk about The Great Garis Wedding of 2010.

Clearly a very wise party.

Michael and I dated from 600+ miles apart while I worked graveyard weekend shifts and he worked a day job. Every other week I'd have four days off in a row so I'd drive down after a shift (not wise) to his house and then I'd sleep while he was a work. We'd be together for about 4 conscious hours and then he'd fall asleep. Who am I kidding. I slept too. I was usually exhausted by that time. On my short weekend he'd drive up and the setting would change--not the sleeping.

So, this exhaustion (especially on my part) was a theme in our dating that had a direct effect on our wedding. Once engaged we spent some time considering how my family in Missoula, DC, Ogden, Sacramento and Phoenix would be able to meet with his family in/near San Antonio with the greatest of ease. We thought about Salt Lake but it really looked like we'd be married when there was snow on the ground and I had no interest in snowy wedding photos.

Yes, yes--first world problems, I know.

We then decided on Phoenix. Warm, somewhat a mid-point and full of family. Perfect! I was pulling for March, he wanted 'tomorrow' so we met in February and my lucky number of 13.

Why was this wise? First, I was marrying Michael. Turns out? One of the best decisions of my life. Second, it really was a great place for all my family to meet and have time together. That doesn't happen often and it felt great to have them all around. Third, it was WARM!

The party was, I think, one of the most hands off weddings ever. I found vendors that liked each other, knew what they were doing and were fine with my attitude.

An example? When the cake team (shout out to Piece of Cake!!) asked what I wanted for a wedding cake I said, "Whimsical, off kilter and themed around that terrible holiday proximate to my wedding." They asked for more instructions and I said, "You're the cake people. I trust you. Go forth and cake."

Honestly, I don't know why every bride doesn't do it that way! It was a fantastic day filled with my love-ah, our friends, our family and so much support and love. I will never forget it.

But I will also say that the fourth reason it was wise is that I managed to remember that the day was simply one day of celebration for the marriage I was choosing. My head didn't explode (it came close once, but I walked away) and by just trying to relax into the day and let things be, putting the single celebration into context, I think I was so much more able to enjoy the moment, revel in the love and realize that while it was a great party, the wisdom of the match was The Thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment