Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Note to Self.

December 21 – Future Self. Imagine yourself five years from now. What advice would you give your current self for the year ahead? (Bonus: Write a note to yourself 10 years ago. What would you tell your younger self?) (Author: Jenny Blake)

If I could imagine myself five years from now I would, without any doubt, be a mother of at least two. I'd be busy helping them with daily learning and growing. I'd be working about ten hours a week as a photographer with clients who entranced me. And I'd still be madly in love with my husband.

I suppose I'd want to tell that future self to keep on this journey of active self-discovery and artistic expression. There is something so healing, so beautiful to me about this path and I don't want to leave it--I don't want her to have left it.

To my past self--oh, the epic novel.

Ten years ago I was about to enter into my first adult relationship, about to declare bankruptcy, living with my sister and on the verge of some of the darkest years of my life so far. I don't know that I'd tell myself anything than "Hold on. You'll get through it." because if she knew, oh how she'd avoid what was coming.

Like run to Argentina and work in the fields kind of run.

But I'd want her to know we pulled through so it would just say, "Keep repeating 'It will all be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end.' And remember that I love you."

No comments:

Post a Comment